Pages

PC Trauma.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

I think this deserves to be written down, recorded and filed. So that I remember God's goodness to me.

It was an evening innocent enough, we just got back from watching Iron Man and everyone was chilling in their respective rooms. That was when Li Heng messaged me saying that he had trouble installing Half-Life and called me up to his room.

So I went, turns out that he didn't have the proper software to mount the disk image. I recommended him to download and install Alcohol 120% to do the trick. While he was installing it, I excused myself and went back to my room.

About a minute or two later, he knocked on my door saying his PC crashed after installing Alcohol and just gave the blue screen of death.

"oh dear... " was the first thought that came to my mind.

We both went back to his room and he attempted to restart his PC. Windows started fine, but when he tries to log in the PC crashes, shows the blue screen, and proceeds to restart.

We made several attempts to gain access to his PC, tried starting in safe mode, normal mode and every other option available to us, but every time we tried Windows would just crash and start over..

"ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!"

My mind was already ridden in panic. If it was my PC it would have been bad, but it's LI HENG'S PC, making it worse! I was sorta kinda directly involved because if I didn't ask him to install the software it wouldn't have happened. What about his files?! His work and assignments?! His collection of self-made guitar pro 5 tabs?? His ridiculous collection of wushu stunts he did with his buddies?!

We rang up the local PC guy in the halls and asked for his advice. He said the way to go was to reformat the whole thing, since we can't access windows to do anything in the first place. Kinda hard to do a system restore when you can't access Windows to begin with.

At soon as we heard that our hearts just sank into our stomach. Li Heng will lose all this stuff and I'm mostly to blame. I just prayed over and over in my head. It felt weird for awhile, usually you pray for healing of people. It's probably the first time I prayed that a laptop be healed.

While he was looking for his Windows installer CD's, I just kept praying and fiddled around with the computer. Just as Li Heng came back to his PC, Windows gave us a different option, one we haven't seen before. Following the instructions, it said that Windows will attempt to repair damaged parts and stuff like that.

*click*click*click* YES YES YES!

After a few minutes wait, it completed it's "repair" and restarted itself. Both our eyes were glued at the screen, hoping for the best. I was still praying in my head and out loud sometimes, Li would give a short laugh every time I did.

When Windows did load properly, we were rejoicing but were still doubtful. After a few clicks here and there, it seemed that all was okay and working as it should. With a heavy sigh of relief I said "Thank God!.."

Again, he gave a chuckle and replied "Yeah.. Thank God. haha!"

The whole ordeal probably only lasted 20 minutes at most but it felt like we were there all night. I returned to my room, emotionally drained from the trauma. hahahaha.. I proceeded to Jun Wei's room to let it all out. xD

Thank God for His goodness!! =D

We recently got the Winter Camp promo flier up! Will post it sometime soon! I'm so excited for it! We expect great things from Him! xD



0 noodle(s) ordered!!: