Pages

Interlude

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thank you all for your prayers for my grandfather. I've heard news that his operation went smoothly without complications. =) He's recovering well and seems to be responding alright in conversations. All glory to God! =D Do continue praying for the full recovery of his physical and mental health. Thank you again for all your prayers.

It has been quite busy the past few days. Aside from the usual assignments and exams, new responsibilities have been given to me. During my first few weeks here I prayed and asked God where would he want me to serve during my short stay of 2 semesters here, and boy has he answered them. =) a little too well.. ahahahaha!

As much as I enjoy being "just a camper", it seems that God has other plans for me. A few of us newbies in OCF have been picked to organize and run the coming OCF Winter Camp. For most of us it was a major shock, we've barely been here and they want us to run camp. "HAH?!" was most of our reactions when we heard the news. xD We don't even know what winter camp is.. lol. By faith we all took our respective responsibilities. I'm the assistant head and camp worship coordinator.

I find being the Worship Coordinator for camp rather funny. I hardly know any of their songs. To them I seem like the kampung "brethren" boy, still singing hymns and old stuff. aduh...

Then there's the job of being a member of the outreach sub-committee, a much easier task relative to the camp committee. Our OCF helps out in two events in uni, ELP - English Learning Program where we help teach and converse with students who want to improve their english and also GFN - Global friendship night where students from different cultures and backgrounds gather to meet people and just enjoy themselves. We use this events as mission fields to make new friendships and to show God's love. =D Our job is to organize GPL and rally up our group members to join and help out.

Finally, (much to my surprise) the OCF worship team has decided to give me a shot at playing for worship. I was hoping it was for just acoustic guitar but I was put under electric! Argh! The process was rather terrifying, they gathered at one of the members house to just jam. I can't describe how lost I felt, having to learn the songs on the spot while everyone else has heard it a thousand times before, hahahahaha. The only time I came alive was when they suddenly jammed "Sweet Child O' Mine". xD

My goodness, their resident electric guitarist is probably the most gifted electric guitarist I know in person. Sure there's Bernard but this guy.. Fuh... His technical skills are so clean and polished. His theory is solid too.. Really a monster. He can join Li Heng and Bernard in the list of people who send me crying to sleep at night with their guitar playing.

Hopefully this will be a good chance to learn from OCF and improve my guitar playing. Like Jon said, I'll have to play much louder. =P I've always been struggling with the notion that I'm not very good at all, both technically and in music theory. Sigh.. Hopefully this year brings improvement.

Unfortunately, I'll have to put playing for worship aside until next semester. With the winter camp coming up along with assignments and exams I don't thing I can juggle so many things at one go.. Me being new to their material would mean that I would need more time to prepare before practice sessions.

Well, that's basically what I had the past few days. We had A Mamak Night dinner yesterday! Wait for the pics!! =D

1 noodle(s) ordered!!:

Jon said...

Well fortunately for you... It's not the technique nor musical theory that matters but your HEART soaring forth through those six strings! :)

Incidentally, ask any godly musician and they'll tell you that that is all they ever think about. ^^