Pages

Culture

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I was accompanying Hao Zhi in the cafeteria the other day. I wanted to get a snack and he needed to wait in the cafeteria for Monash Swimming Club members to pass him their photograph for the club membership card.

While randomly looking through the photos he already has, it reminded me of Australia and a culture there that I found interesting.

To register to live on campus we had to fill up a form and attach 2 photographs of ourselves. Our photos were then later seen in a master list of everyone who lived in Richo Hall.

All international students (us Malaysians for example) had pictures like the above. Studio photos of us looking straight into the camera with a nice shirt on and a blue background at the back.

The funny thing was, you could easily distinguish an Australian from the list just by glancing at the picture.

Because they were Facebook pictures!

Forget the serious face and the blue background! Most of them gave a picture of themselves partying somewhere with a funny hat on and a drink in hand. In some pictures you can see half a person beside them, cropped off the photo to be used for application purposes!

It came across as strange at first, but clearly the idea is brilliant! At least they know that the photo they gave of themself looks good! We have to use the photo we took at the studio regardless if we looked like the rear end of a horse.

So I told all that to Hao Zhi. He gave a laugh and then said, "Something like this?"

He took out 2 photos from the plastic bag he had beside him.

Lo and behold, there it was! A Facebook picture!

No surprise where the owner of the photo is from! Hahahaha!

And you can even see half a guy in the photo! What did I tell ya? xD


Speaking of culture..

While rounding around the uni's parking lot looking for a spot, I couldn't help but notice why the cars in front of me that passed this certain parked car kept waving their fists in the air and curse in anger.

Then I passed the car.

I certainly felt like waving my fists in the air!

What are you BLIND?! Ayoooooooooooo!!



4 noodle(s) ordered!!:

Jon said...

it's funny how he parked EXACTLY in the middle. Like as thought he was aiming for it. lol.

you talking bout culture? Well, it looks to me like a Penang number plate. *koff koff* :P

Justin Currynoodles Lee said...

ahahaha! I know! Right smack in the middle! xD Hahaha!

Unknown said...

Penang driver mah...

Banana Mustard said...

at least he's not blocking the whole lane like subang drivers!!!!!!!